Heavy Equipment OperatorPuyallup, Washington
Job TitleHeavy Equipment Operator
Requisition Primary LocationPuyallup, Washington
Waste Connections has an immediate position available for a Heavy Equipment Operator at our Purdy Transfer Station in Gig Harbor, WA. This is a full-time and long term union position. The wage starts at $25.20 per hour with wage increases in the first year.
General Summary: Under general supervision, operates large, heavy mobile equipment, performs routine maintenance, cleans and maintains equipment. Hours and days could fluctuate so must be flexible depending on need.
Operates a variety of heavy equipment including loaders, excavators, row turners, screen plants, and grinders, as may be necessary. Performs routine inspection and maintenance. May assist mechanics in some repairs. Responsible for servicing equipment including fueling and checking hydraulics. Exercises appropriate precautions by visually identifying hazardous waste symbols. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices. Perform other such duties and functions as may be necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position
- High school diploma or GED; 2 – 5 years experience related to the duties specified above.
- Valid Driver’s License
Physical/Mental Demands: Job applicants must be able to:
- Climb in and out of equipment cabs constantly throughout the shift. Must be able to step into vehicles at a height of approximately 2 to 3 feet.
- Exert force and lifts up to 50 lbs frequently; 50 – 100 lbs occasionally
- Constantly handle, grip, and grasp controls, and push buttons to operator equipment controls; coordinate the movement of more than one limb simultaneously to properly and efficiently operate certain equipment.
- Work in small, cramped spaces such as an equipment cab.
- Remain in sitting position for extended periods of time.
- Regularly walk across rough, uneven or rocky or waste surfaces.
- Frequently operate levers or pedals and makes fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of control mechanisms.
- Regularly perform extensive physical activity and strenuous physical work.
- Demonstrate visual and auditory acuity in order to safely operate heavy equipment.
- Regularly uses a variety of hand and other tools to perform regular maintenance.
- Frequently walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, climb stairs and ladders.
- Regularly reach above, at and below shoulder level.
- Work safely without presenting a threat to self or others.
- Communicate effectively and cooperate with co-workers, customers and managers.
- Perform basic daily clerical duties such as maintenance forms or equipment logs
- Work schedule varies must be available all days.
Work Environment: Job applicants must be able to:
- Constantly work under adverse conditions including outside in any weather, around rodents, insects, foul smells, dirt, dust, and hazardous conditions such as ice and snow.
- Constantly work outdoors, sometimes in extreme weather conditions, around machinery and around co-workers.
- Frequent exposure to dust, fumes, smoke, gases odors and excessive noises.
- Occasional exposure to chemicals, solvents, grease or oil and slippery or uneven surfaces.
To be considered for any of our current openings you must complete an application at www.wasteconnections.com . Application information and additional instructions can be found once you select your position of interest.
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran)