District ControllerPortland, Oregon
Why Choose Us?
We are Waste Connections, an integrated services company that provides solid waste collection, transfer, disposal, and recycling services to local residents and businesses throughout the U.S. and Canada. We’re proud to be a different kind of company with a different kind of culture. One where self-directed, empowered employees have our trust and full support to realize their potential as they strive to make a bigger and better impact on their communities and careers every day.
Our company is a nationwide, publicly traded industry powerhouse and we are looking for best in class accountants to leave the world of audit and public accounting behind for an opportunity with incredible growth and leadership opportunities. We provide work life balance and continuous skill training to always prepare you for advancement to the next level.
How you’ll perform the role:
Our District Controllers instantaneously make an impact on the bottom line by understanding our business end to end and being agents of change and process improvement. Your role will continuously develop as a business partner and analyst, working hand in hand with Operations both in the office and in the field to achieve success.
This is an opportunity for accounting professionals who are entrepreneurial minded, appreciate an autonomous and unstructured work environment, and want to take an interactive role in providing leadership and guidance in a progressive and growing industry.
As an District Controller, you will report to the Division Controller and oversee the financial functions of several of our operating locations. This position works in tandem with District Operational Managers and requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. It also requires direct interface with local and state regulatory agencies and personnel.
- Performing monthly financial close functions through preparation of financial statements for each designated operating location.
- Reconciliation of all general ledger accounts.
- Monthly narrative analysis of significant financial variances to budget and forecast.
- Monthly completion of a three-month financial forecast.
- Rate analysis and review.
- Effective ongoing communication of financial related information to business counterparts.
- Managing flow of accounting data to/from remote facilities.
- Assisting with quarterly Sarbanes Oxley compliance and review.
- Planning and participating in the annual financial budget process.
- Providing training to non-financial personnel on internal control compliance, accounting procedures and financial statement review.
- Some travel and awesome potential for relocation opportunities.
Your technical background should include:
- BS/BA degree in accounting
- 5 - 7 years of accounting experience, required
- 2 years of public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Budgeting process experience
- Proven excellent communication and interpersonal skills
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive Compensation
- 401(K) with company match; let us help you save for your future
- Healthcare; Medical, Dental, Vision
- Perks, perks, perks! Employee Assistance Mental Health Program, Emergency Travel Assistance, Prepaid Legal Plan, Scholarship Opportunities for kids, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Relief Fund
- Insurance: Life, Short Term/Long Term Disability
Waste Connections is an equal opportunity employer. Waste Connections does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law