Solid Waste EngineerKnoxville, Tennessee
Job TitleSolid Waste Engineer
Primary LocationKnoxville, Tennessee
We are looking to hire a Solid WasteEngineer to manage environmental and engineering programs for multiple landfills and numerous other waste management districts in our Eastern Region. This is an excellent opportunity with a growing company!
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Lead various engineering construction and permitting projects.
- Support our customers and sales team in identifying and optimizing waste handling solutions.
- Review and understand all permits governing the landfill and provide guidance to District Managers to ensure site compliance.
- Assist with landfill, transfer station, material recycling facility, and hauling site environmental audits.
- Manage and respond to regulatory and community concerns
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Desire to be a leader in the company’s engineering and environmental program and to learn and grow all business sectors across the company.
- Ability to follow established procedures with minimal amount of direct supervision.
- Ability to interpret documents such as safety rules, contracts, federal, state and local regulations, engineering design and operating plans, maintenance and procedural manuals.
- Excellent technical report writing skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, interpret data and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to predict and manage future compliance needs and adapt to changing regulatory environments.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with sales team, operations team, outside consultants and vendors, and customers.
Minimum requirements are the following:
- Bachelor’s of Science in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or Agricultural Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of previous experience managing projects that include substantial design efforts, permitting, construction earth movement, and building construction
- Experience in the solid waste industry, preferred
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Enjoys sharing ideas and communicating with others
- Experience in communicating with government officials and departments
- Willingness to travel outside the office 50% of the time via plane and/or car
Successful candidates are those seeking a mix of field service and office work in an environment of operational excellence and accountability. As leaders, we serve the field.
What’s In It for You?
You will be joining colleagues who embrace a “work hard, play harder” culture. Our total compensation package is competitive and comes with excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term disability, life insurance and a 100% company match 401(k) retirement plan. You’ll also be associating yourself with a company that leads by example, through a strong presence in our local communities, charitable giving, sustainability initiatives and more.
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veterans)