Landfill Assistant District ManagerKnoxville, Tennessee
Join Waste Connections, Inc., and Connect with Your Future!
We are currently seeking a talented Landfill Assistant District Manager in the Eastern Region to join our growing organization.
Our ideal candidate will be willing to learn hands on how to operate, maintain and manage a Waste Connections Landfill with the goal of being promoted to a Landfill District Manager opportunity! This position would require relocation for career advancement opportunities to one of our landfills located within North America.
We are looking for people with a four year degree that, post graduation, have a desire to continue learning and enjoy making whatever they are doing, better. This is an opportunity to make a difference while working for the leading company within the waste services industry.
We understand that no one comes out of school knowing how to run a landfill; that is why we formed our ADM program. The ADM program provides the opportunity for individuals entering the waste industry to learn and create while being guided by a District Manager. Successful candidates will also work directly with our engineering/environmental compliance staff, who is fully vested in your success.
We want smart people that are proactive Leaders, problem solvers, and Managers.
- Executes precautions to ensure safety and compliance with Company and OSHA standards and regulations.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the landfill. Supervise the layout and fill sequences within the landfill; maintaining proper berms, ditches and access roads, and assuring proper cover of solid waste daily.
- Formulates both short-term and long-term goals and action plans in conjunction with the District Manager.
- Implements programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, labor and material costs.
- Will eventually be required to operate various equipment; compactors, dozers, graders, tractors, backhoes, front-end loaders, dump trucks, etc. as needed.
- Maintain and monitor gas wells field and assist with necessary expansions.
- Maintain, monitor, sample, and operate leachate wastewater pre-treatment systems.
- Perform construction management of landfill construction, landfill gas system construction, and other site structures
- Assists in monitoring budget and operating metrics while diagnosing and improving processes, procedures, and performance.
- Executes necessary precautions to ensure safety and compliance with the company, OSHA, and other standards and regulations.
- Participates in regular P&L reviews to ensure that budgets are met; develops and implements programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, and labor and material costs.
- Assists in overseeing personnel needs of the site including selecting, coaching, disciplining, and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Scheduling employees and equipment to facilitate task completion.
- Interacts with Landfill customers and County officials to ensure customer satisfaction, improve efficiency, renew contracts and negotiate new contracts.
- Interacts with State and local agencies to insure efficient and effective compliance with rules and regulations.
- 4 year degree mandatory (preferably in Environmental Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, or other related field).
- Previous system monitoring experience a plus.
- Previous supervisory experience in landfill operations, heavy construction and/or environmental field services is a plus.
- Previous experience working outdoors in all weather types.
- Must be willing to relocate.
Successful candidates are those who seek to thrive in an environment of operational excellence and accountability. We offer excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term disability, life insurance, 401K retirement and unlimited opportunities to "Connect with Your Future".
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veterans)