Landfill Assistant District ManagerHarper, Kansas
Waste Connections is looking for an Assistant District Manager to join our Plum Thicket Landfill team in Harper, KS! This role is intended to fast-track you into the next leadership step with a high probability of relocation in 1-2 years to oversee your own district.
WASTE CONNECTIONS US, Inc.
We are an integrated solid waste services company that provides solid waste collection, transfer, disposal and recycling services in 43 states and 6 Canadian Provinces. Our 2021 annual revenue was 6.15 billion and we are track to keep growing in 2022.
We, 20,000+ employees, foster a work culture of Servant Leadership. Our goal is to create an environment where self directed, empowered employees strive to consistently fulfill our constituent commitments and seek to create positive impacts through interactions with customers, communities, and fellow employees, always relying on our Operating Values as the foundation for our existence.
Why you need to join us!
CULTURE: It’s a Great place to work! We work in an environment where empowered, self-directed all-stars know what they do is important.
INTEGRITY: Our definition is "saying what you will do and then doing it!" We keep our promises to our customers and our employees. Honoring our commitments provides our stakeholders peace of mind and establishes us as the premier waste services company in the markets we serve. This creates a safe and rewarding environment for our employees.
STABILITY: We are proud of the essential services we provide for our local communities. Through natural disasters to recessions and even pandemics, waste services will always be needed and Waste Connections ability to adapt in those climates ensure we'll be there to pick it up!
- Ability to operate Yellow Iron Heavy Equipment
- Responsible for developing and implementing procedures and systems for personnel to operate in a safe, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
- Create and monitor budget and operating metrics while diagnosing and improving profit, processes and return on investment. Develop short-term and long-term goals and action plans in conjunction with the Regional Vice President.
- Establish and maintain performance targets, objectives, and standards for each service activity at the site.
- Has full P&L and capital responsibility for the site.
- Participate in regular P&L reviews to ensure budgets are met; develop and implement programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, and labor and material costs.
- Oversee personnel needs of the site including selecting, coaching, disciplining and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provide input into termination, compensation and promotion decisions.
- Partner with local city, municipal and county agencies to ensure WCI is providing top notch customer service, and identifies ways to improve services. Work with municipalities to renew contracts, negotiate new contracts.
- Execute necessary precautions to ensure safety and compliance with Company, DOT, OSHA and other standards and regulations.
- Ensure that safe, reliable landfill equipment is available to meet operational requirements.
- Responsible for compliance to applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- Partner with local maintenance manager to ensure facility maintenance.
- Define and implement market strategy.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree; advanced degrees preferred
- Three+ years management level experience in the transportation or waste industry is preferred
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of waste hauling operating procedures
- Knowledge of OSHA, DOT and EPA guidelines
- Work Environment:
- Travels regularly to customer or other company locations
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves, dirt, odor, noise, weather extremes or similar elements often
Salary Range – Up to $80k with Bonus and Equity Opportunities Available!
Our total compensation package is competitive and comes with excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term disability, life insurance and a 100% company match 401(k) retirement plan. You’ll also be associating yourself with a company that leads by example, through a strong presence in our local communities, charitable giving, sustainability initiatives and more.
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans)