Heavy Equipment Mechanic
As a member of our elite team of mechanics, you will feel like you're a part of something bigger than yourself. Our team works together towards a common goal -- keeping our fleet on the road and in good working order and making sure our drivers get home safe every night. Do you have experience working on diesel trucks or heavy equipment? Would you love working in a very stable industry for a rapidly growing company? If the answer is yes, then you're who we're looking for.
What do you need to be a successful Mechanic at Waste Connections? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Safety Minded
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
- Mechanically Inclined
Paid Vacation Time
401(k) with Company Match
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Emergency Travel Assistance
Prepaid Legal Plan
Scholarship Program for Kids
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Employee Relief Fund
Every day when I go home and I know that what I did is going to keep these drivers safe and get their job done, it just feels great.Andrew Mechanic
We’ll rely on your skills and talents to keep our vehicles running safely and smoothly. Get an up-close look at what it’s like to be a Mechanic at Waste Connections.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Chiquita Canyon Landfill, a Waste Connections company, is looking to hire a Heavy Equipment Mechanic to join our shop in Castaic, CA!
The schedule will be Monday-Friday ,plus some required Saturdays. Early morning start times. Pay will depend on experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diagnose and perform repairs on heavy equipment such as dozer, scraper, compactor, pickup trucks, water trucks, light towers and all equipment on site as needed.
- Ability to diagnose and repair all components; electrical, hydraulic, engines, transmissions, air conditioning, brakes.
- Some computer skills needed, use Caterpillar E.T. program to diagnose and repair.
- Follow safety procedures as set out by Caterpillar and Waste Connections
- Use lock-out tag out procedure.
- Fill out work order daily to keep track of hours and work performed.
- Upon completion of assignments, must provide signatures on all inspection reports.
- Make parts list and order parts as needed using a P.O. system.
- Fabricate and weld, using gas or arc as needed.
- Report all problems to supervisor, keep track daily by using a notebook for each machine
- Perform preventative services as needed.
- Maintain a clean working environment
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Able to work utilizing safety glasses, steel-toed shoes, uniform, and hearing protection (PPE).
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence accurately.
- Ability to speak effectively to employees of organization.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- ASE Certification a plus,
- Valid Driver License and clean driving record.
- Willing and able to work weekends as needed
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; push and pull tool box weighing up to 100 lb.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of radiation, and vibration.
- The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, earplugs required.
To be considered for any of our current openings you must complete an application at www.wasteconnections.com. Application information and additional instructions can be found once you select your position of interest.
We offer excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term & short term disability, life insurance, 401K retirement and unlimited opportunities to "Connect with Your Future".
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran)